CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 19, 2008

5 People...

Moving to Chicago has definitely changed me alot. I am not the same person I was when I left home some 8 or so months ago. It has been a year of change, a year of growth, a year of learning, a year of pain, and a year of joy. And throughout the year, there have been plenty of people in my life who have been there through the ups and downs...been there to listen, to lend a shoulder to cry on, to make me laugh, and to put me back in my place. Yet, I am so horrible at telling people how much they mean to me. I don't know why but it's very hard for me to just be like, listen...I love you and i'm thankful that you are here for me day in and day out. So, I wanted to write about five people whom have really...just really been impactful on me since I moved to Chicago.


1. Laura C: Laura and I met in California back in September, little did we know that it was a God-thing. We have been friends ever since and I am so thankful for her. Without her, I fear Chicago would still be a scary and foreign place to me, but instead…it is a city I love and enjoy exploring as often as possible. Also, I’m thankful because I rarely have people to ask questions of me and my growth…and she does. For as iron sharpens iron, so one (wo)man sharpens another. I am also thankful for her because she has to listen to my millions of questions, thoughts, laments, and angry tears as I wrestle with my daily walk. I always enjoy our Wednesday outings, we never seem to run out of conversation and laughs (and weird accents hahaha)…and I am really glad that she is my friend.




2. My sister. Leanne is one of the strongest women I know. And she is an amazing mother and older sister that I look up to enormously. She will always be my best friend and ever since I moved to Chicago, I have realized how much she means to me and how much I miss her. Leanne teaches me so much about life and she keeps me in line (all too often). Sometimes I wish I was more like her because she embodies everything I’m not. Yet, I know that God made us different so we would get along so well. Most of all, I’m thankful for her support…for she has been behind me in everything…and makes me feel like she really is proud of me, and not just because I’m her sister.





3. Darmesha Washington. I know it may be weird putting a 14 year old girl on here but this girl…she keeps me laughing. And, she has this uncanny ability to make me smile, no matter how bad or tiring my day has been. And laughter, I believe is one reason I keep my sanity here. I am thankful for her because even at her young age, she shows me what Jesus really meant when he said to love each other. For she truly exhibits Christ love in her actions and words and I am very thankful that I have the privilege of knowing her.



4. My grandmother. My mamaw is my rock. I definitely know I don’t tell her as often as I should, but I admire her so much. I think the most important thing about my relationship with her is my respect for her. Honestly, I don’t really hold many people in high respect, yet my Mamaw…I do. She is such a strong, wise, and hard working woman. Mamaw teaches me so much more than I think I could learn from anyone else on this earth. She puts things in a new perspective and every time I get off the phone with her, I feel like I’ve learned something new or she has forced me to think outside of what I had before thought. I am pretty sure I have the best grandmother in the world. And, I love her so much more than she will ever even know, probably because like I said before, I’m the worst at sharing my feelings!


5. Finally, my good friend Katrina. This girl, I have seen her grow so much over the past year. I have known her for three years...met her when she was still a teenager and I was in college. She is now a sophomore in college and thriving as a godly woman. As you get older, its interesting how you begin to lose contact with a lot of your high school and college friends. And since moving to Chicago, I really don't talk to a lot of friends from my past. There are only a handful that have stayed in contact, yet Katrina...no matter what, still manages to make time for me. I am so thankful for her support and guidance. She may be younger than me, but she is so full of youth ministry wisdom it astounds me. And, she has taught me the difference between joy and happiness...which has really changed my attitude about a lot of things. She is a great friend and I'm proud to call her my sister in Christ.

God bless you all...thanks to everyone (family and friends) for your continual prayer, support, and love for me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shasta- i'm honored. Thank you for these words - and for the reminder of how deeply i am blessed.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.