CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Community

All over the news these past few weeks has been reports of robberies, shootings, and murders. And mainly, these crimes have been on the southside or the westside (where I live). I watch the news and read the paper and I think...do I really live here? I mean, I know I do but sometimes it shocks me that something went down two blocks away from my house. And yes, it does make me fearful at times for my safety (and at all times for the safety of my kids' and their families)...but at the same time, more than anything it gives me even more determination to stay here and fight this fight.

But, I want everyone out there to know, there are two sides to the 'hood (or ghetto as some call it). Yes, of course, there are plenty of kids in our neighborhood turning to violence and dropping out of school. Yes, there are gangs and drug-dealers and criminals. Yet, there is so much more in this neighborhood than the newspapers talk about.

Here's the stories people don't hear about...but what I see on a daily basis. See, where I live...it's a community. There are at least 4 parks within walking distance of my house. One right down the street from me. Kids are out there everyday after school playing basketball, swinging on swings...talking to their buddies. As I walk to work everyday, I see people out on their porches and washing their cars. They say hi and sometimes I stop to talk to them for a couple of minutes. On the way home from work, I see kids riding their bikes, jumping rope, and running around while the parents sit out on their porches and talk to the adults. See, where I live...it's a community.

See...the stories I want you to hear are not of violence or crimes...it's of love and helping each other out. Just this morning, I was outside...looking at my wipers. I had just bought some new ones and was trying to figure out how to put them on. My next door neighbor was walking out of his house when he saw me standing there. He asked me if I had put them on yet and I told him no, I was just trying to figure it out...he then came over looked at them for a second and within five minutes had put them on for me. Why? Because he is my neighbor...nothing more. I told him thank you and we talked for a couple of minutes and then I went inside. See...where I live, it's a community.

I was walking the other day back home from work, as I walked past the park down the street from my house...I saw some kids that I knew. They saw me and yelled my name and came running over to me. We stood there chatting, a few other kids coming over to say hi (that I didn't know) and then I gave them a couple of basketball pointers (they always playin ball) they laughed at me and I went on my way. See...where I live, it's a community.

I wish I could tell you the many times I've had random conversations with my neighbors as I walked down the street. I wish I could tell you about the only Starbucks around my home and how friendly the people are that work there. How about the lady at Walgreens? Whom I always have a conversation with. Or our post office lady? How I laugh at her as she is always dancing and always asks me if I know how to? And how last time I was in there...we talked about our neighborhood and how sad it was that so many of our youngsters are getting murdered. These are MY neighbors. These are the people who live in the 'hood. These are the people that are misunderstood and discriminated against. See...where I live, it's a community.

We hear about all these children dropping out of schools, kids murdering kids, gang members recruiting kids and selling drugs. Yet, we never hear about the kids who are perservering. Who have dreams and goals...who are making a difference, right in the middle of the ghetto. How about this one 16 year old girl? She is a leader in our program. Makes practically straight A's and values her education and teaches our kids to value it also. This girl works, takes care of her family, and still goes to school everyday. And yes, she is a product of our community. Or how about this one boy? Who struggles, but pushes through it all. Who desires to know the Lord and desires to live out his testimony. He doesn't have the best home life...actually, it's pretty sucky, yet he pushes on...goes to school...excels in sports...and is a leader for our kids. Or lets talk about the younger kids. How about the young girl who is so stinking creative and witty. This child, I've never seen someone who can come up with a joke about anything and everything. She may not be the best student, but I swear she tries so hard and she pushes herself to be the best she can be. These are the children I see everyday....these are the children that aren't recognized...yet should be. These are the youth that are in our community and who aren't going to be labeled...who are going to make a new label for inner-city kids.


Yes, there are a lot of bad things going on in our neighborhood. In the surrounding neighborhoods. But, there sure are a lot of great things going on too. There are a lot of people who aren't doing what they are supposed to...but there sure are a lot of good neighbors too. Yes, there are some kids in my 'hood that are making very poor decisions...but there are some strong kids too. There are some kids that despite all odds are pushing through everyday and are making a difference...one day at a time.


I hope as you read this...you realize that the inner-cities of Chicago isn't all bad. That there is much more to the west/southsides of Chicago than violence and crime. There are good neighbors and strong, excelling kids.

Now lets see some news stories on that :)


God bless you all!

2 comments:

Kimmiej said...

Greatness, beauty and wonder are often found where we least expect it. You are one of few who see the dandelion stretching towards the sun through the cracks in the concrete, and that is a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I think community is not built with fancy homes but with human connections. thanks for a glimpse into your heart, for showing us what it means to love your neighbor!