CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 11, 2008

Field Trips

Every week we take our group on a field trip. Val, Seth, and I spent many hours debating on where to go. Because our group is the oldest, we wanted to take them to fun places, of course, but more importantly places where they can learn as well. This week, we had the pleasure of taking them to a college.


We took them to North Park University located on the northside of Chicago. It's a small college, like most colleges in Chicago, but beautiful nonetheless. I was a little nervous about taking them to a college, thinking they might think it was boring and stupid, but they loved it! There were a few, of course, that were bored but mainly because they chose to be. We first went to their main building and talked to a guidance counselor. She talked about what to do before entering college (study, change your email address from sexybaby101@yahoo.com to something more appropriate, lol, and other things) and then we talked about the school and the different majors they offered. After that, we went on a tour. The students loved the tour! They got to sit in real classrooms, go to their gym, their health facility, and other things. The only thing we didn't get to do is see a dorm room. One of our boys even got to meet their basketball coach (he told him to GROW lol).

By the end of the day, most of the kids had decided they were going to some day go to college there! I left thinking, wow.

I was so glad we picked a college. These students, they really need to see what college looks like. They need to know what they need to do to get into college and just as important-that they can go to college. I really really thought, this makes a difference. How many kids in our neighborhood at 13, 14 years old have visited a college? How many know what a "degree" is and that there are scholarships out there for them? Our kids know this now! And, I left the university thanking God for the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than myself.

And, I hope thats what life here for me in Chicago is about. The moment I start thinking about myself, thats the moment I get tripped up. I sometimes complain about how little money I have or I'll think about how much I miss my nieces...but I am reminded that the day I chose Jesus, was the day that I died to myself. Moving to Chicago and living here, in the 'hood and working with urban youth, i'm picking up my cross...sometimes it feels heavier than other days, but thats why Jesus is always there to help me carry it.

God bless you all! I pray that you, wherever you are find something that you can be a part of that is bigger than yourselves. I think thats just what this world needs a little more of...

0 comments: