CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Game Tonight

Tonight we had a softball game. We played against the pirates. I was glad because although we had lost to them before, I really thought we had a chance against them. So far we had won only one game-by forfeit.

Here's a little background on our team. We have girls grades 3rd-7th. Back that up, 1 7th grader, 1 3rd grader...the rest are mainly 4th and 5th graders. NONE, let me repeat, NONE have ever played, so we would be what you would call, beginners. Anyways, we have 3 pitchers. One is great, on the verge of being amazing, one is good on the verge of being great, and the other is still working on being good. lol

Tonight, we mixed up the field a little bit and decided to let our pitcher who is still working on being good pitch. This girl is an amazing kid and definitely the leader on our team. Anyways, we batted first and surprisingly scored 3 runs. We were pysched! Our fielding is our problem most of the time, so i was still very like...we'll see. We got out there, and the other team started walking. Which, unfortunately is their M.O. Last time we played, they liked to walk. Well, one of our girls got mad and tried to walk off the field. So we replaced her with another player. Thankfully, our pitcher was not deterred...she just kept on pitching. They ended up scoring 4 runs. So, down by one...2nd inning. We get up to bat...and we score one run. 4-4. They got up to bat, walked a few more in and score 2. 6-4. I grabbed the pitcher after the inning and I looked at her and said, girl...you can do this. I know you can. Don't dare get your head down, I want you to do this...I want you to show them you can pitch to them. Andrea walked over to me and asked me if we should take her out, I said, lets let her pitch one more inning...it won't hurt too much and plus, I think she's coming around. We batted...scored 2 runs! 6-6. They get up to bat (3rd inning). I'm secretly hoping the girl won't make me eat my words about me letting her stay in. And let me tell ya...she struck 3 consecutive batters out. No, i'm serious. She did! It was a great moment!

4th Inning, we are tied. Our girls get up to bat...we score one run. I was finally starting to realize, we may have a shot at this game! 3 outs and we are back on the field. Our best pitcher is now in the game. I walk out to her...tell her that she's got this and pray that she doesn't lose her cool. She didn't, striking 2 girls out and our first baseman made a great play to get the third out! We are WINNING 7-6!!!! 5th and final inning...we get out there and bat...first girl, strike out. Second girl walk. 3rd girl hit and all of a sudden, we've got 2 girls on base with one out. 4th batter, strike out. Then next batter...hit and and...we score! 8-6!!!! Next batter, another out. So, going into the bottom of the 5th...all we gotta do is get 3 outs.

Whew, were they feeling the pressure...I could see them getting antsy and excited but at the same time, scared to death! lol 1st batter up...walk. 2nd batter up...walk. 3rd batter up hits a little blooper to our 2nd baseman...bad throw...they score! 8-7. Next batter up...i'm just freaking out. I'm thinking the girls are too...she strikes out! Next batter...hits it to first, another out! 2 outs, we're up by one...next batter....hits it and they score again. 8-8. OMG, by now i'm like thinking my heart is about to beat out of my chest. Next batter...strike out!

The girls are screaming...we are pulling them over, telling them we didn't win yet...we gotta play another inning cuz it's a tie. So here we go again! We are batting. Our first batter gets up. I'm excited cuz we are in an okay part of our line up...i'm thinking, we may actually score a run or two. The first batter hits it to second...bad throw to first, she rounds first heads to second...and then another bad throw so she's headed to third...i'm yelling at her to stop (being the 3rd base coach) she keeps running! They throw it home...she's running....and they drop the ball! HOMERUN! 9-8 US! YAYYYYY! Next batter up...gets a good hit, we get on base...next batter strikes out. 1 out, 1 on. The next two batters get up and get hits. We have a man on 1st and 2nd. I'm getting pumped. Then walks one of our, um...not so good hitters...I was like, oh no! But BLAM! She hits it...they pick it up our girls are running as hard as they can, the girl who hit it gets out but manages to hit one girl in! 10-8 us! And, we have a girl on 3rd! Next girl up, walk...next girl up...another hit! WE SCORE AGAIN!!! 11-8 us! Then, unfortunately the next girl strikes out.

Bottom of the 6th. I'm thinking, I can't breathe! First batter up. I tell our pitcher, now is the time to be MENTALLY tough. Lets go, you can do it! She pitches, the girl swings and a hit! In the air, our short stop makes a brillant play and catches it! The crowd is screaming, well...the coaches and one parent cuz thats all that came...but still we were screaming. Next up, a walk. I'm like oh my goodness I can't watch, I can't watch! Next girl up. Now, I'm thinking in my head, this girl can hit but I still wasn't really thinking she would get a good one...I promise, this girl belts it over our center fielder all the way on the other field! HOMERUN...they score 2. 11-10. 1 out. i'm thinking, it's over...there is no way...they gonna win. I'm just upset thinking how devastated they would be after the game. The next girl gets up...walk. Next one...strike out! 2 outs, 1 on base. Next girl gets up...another walk. I'm standing there...thinking omg if they don't start swingning th bat!

Next girl...first pitch SWING and a miss! 1 strike 0 balls. I look over at Andrea, she is standing there, arms crossed face beat red cuz she is so nervous. I glance at Kim, she is literally on her knees begging our pitcher to strike her out. Our other coach, Kalsky is standing there cheering our pitcher on. I'm standing there heart beating out of my chest, literally praying for a miracle. Next pitch...ball. 1 strike, 1 ball. Next pitch, strike 2!!!!! Our girls are screaming, I'm wanting to scream...and our pitcher is standing there, trying to stay calm, cool and collected. Next pitch....a SWING and a MISS!!!!!!! WE WIN WE WIN WE WIN WE WIN!!!!

So, yeah...thats how our first win went down. Sorry I went into so much detail, but 3 years from now...I want to remember every moment...from our 2 pitchers, stepping it up and putting on the best performance ever to our girl who can't really hit the ball getting a legitimate RBI to our shortstop making the great catch...I loved it!!!!


Go DIAMONDBACKS ;)

God bless you all!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun game!!