CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer Studies

Summer studies is now in full force. It officially started last week, which means me getting up early, which have yet to get used to since I didn't have to be at work till 10 for so many months. Now, I have to be at work by 8:00, the kids start showing up at 8:45.

My favorite part of the day is probably freetime. We go out back and I mainly play basketball with the older kids. I really enjoy this because it not only gives me a little exercise, but lets just be honest...I love basketball! I also just enjoy being with the older kids. They crack me up and definitely keep me on my toes!

I realized the last couple of days how much I truly enjoy having the kids all day. It's been great just getting to see their different attitudes in the summer. They are so much happier here than they were during the school year. I guess mainly cuz they go to school all day and then would come to our program for another 3 hours. That makes for a long and stressful day for them.

I have another theory as well. It's Summer. Summer makes people happier. Well, at least it does me. One time Chantel (my KAA director) asked our bible study how we worship God the best. When it came to me, I immediately knew the answer. Being outside. Oh! How I love to be outside. Sometimes, I just love to walk and pray. I just love to see God's creation. To see the trees and the blue skies. Or to see the stars out at night. I truly believe God created all of this for us to enjoy. And there is almost no way better than to put me out in the middle of a forest or overlooking beautiful green pastures, etc. to bring me to a place of worship with God.

I am reminded of a quote that came out of this book, Ragamuffin Gospel. In it, the author, Brennan Manning says this:

"For grace proclaims the awesome truth that all is gift. All that is good is ours, not by right, but by the sheer bounty of a gracious God….we have been given God in our souls and Christ in our flesh. I am deeply loved by Jesus Christ and I have done nothing to earn it or deserve it. We are all, equally, privileged but unventilated beggars at the door of God’s mercy."

All is a gift. Not just the money we have in our pockets or the clothes on our back, but also the blue skies we see when we walk out in the mornings or the slight breeze we feel during freetime out back...all of this is a gift. All that is good is ours, not by right, but by the sheer bounty of a gracious God. A God that loved me enough to make ladybugs...just cuz he knew I would love them. He love me enough to have birds chirp because he knew I'd love the sound of birds singing in the morning.

God is good. Summer is good. Summer studies is good. I am enjoying the warm weather, the long laughter filled days, and the constant reminder of God's grace as I walk outside.

Old pic of me, my dad, and Brandon after hiking...

(I miss those days!)


God bless you all!

0 comments: